Tuesday, January 27, 2009

DON'T FORGET OUR STRUGLING PAST...

The Republic day and the Independence Day – the two most honorable festivals of India, both truly shows the meaning of secularism because of its Indian spirit. A person from every community celebrates it and in every house there is a feeling of happiness.
On 26th January, we celebrate the essence of republic day to mark the adoption of constitution of India and the transition of India from a British empire to a Republic of India.
Although, India obtained its independence on august 15th 1947, it did not yet had a permanent constitution; instead its laws were based on the government of India act 1935. On August 29th 1947, the drafting committee was appointed to draft a permanent constitution with Dr. Ambedkar as the chairman. It took 2 years 11 months and 17 days to draft and adopt a constitution. After many deliberations and some modifications, the 308 members of the Assembly signed the two hand-written copies of the document (one each in Hindi and English) on January 24th, 1950. Two days later, the constitution of India became the law of all the Indian lands. This was infact a deliberate act, adopting the constitution on 26th January, to mark the respect of freedom fighters who wanted 26th January as India’s initial Independence Day. So this is the reason, why we Indians celebrate it on 26th only.
We address it as a ‘Happy Republic day’; we added the word ‘Happy’ because everybody should be happy on this historical occasion, but from last two or three years, I didn’t find any happiness on the face of the citizens. They treat it as a routine day of work or obvious holiday for everybody.
I remember my school days when I prepared my white dress (compulsory for that day) on the night of 25th and was vigorously waiting for the morning of Republic day; I always bought two tri-color flag and fix it on my Bicycle’s handle. It seemed that the whole country sinked with the tri-color of our flag. I used to call my friends and we went together to school, where we celebrated the day with the song (saare jahaan se accha…) and after that those delicious laddoos (I will never forget the taste of it). The whole day was such a nice memorial for each of us; we enjoy the speech of our teachers given on its importance. On every circle of the road, there was a cassette player, playing a song of Deshbhakti.
I never forget the spirit carried by the peoples of those days and now, I am really feeling ashamed with the way our younger generation are carrying the spirit and significance of republic day.
Yesterday I was trying to find out those spirits and enthusiasm among the children and peoples, but I didn’t find anything except the couples roaming here and there, hand to hand with each other.
I am afraid that after a few years our younger generation would not be able to remember the work done by the makers of our constitution and our most memorable freedom fighters.
I have a request to all fellow citizens that don’t forget the importance, significance and eminence of this only two days, which talks about the struggling history of Indians.
Happy Republic Day …

- MOHAMMED FARHAN KHAN

No comments: